History of Eumeralla
The original Eumeralla Scout Camp was situated on the banks of the Anglesea river – a famous boys vocational training camp in the Otway Forest, a camp with a purpose, a camp with a soul, constructed by the boys themselves and not for profit. This was the first permanent scout camp in Australia. It was also the first Lord Somers Camp. By 1946 the camp had out grown its situation and had been encroached upon by the township, and a decision to sell was made. Fate took a hand and the camp was destroyed in a bushfire. In October 1947 the boys, under the leadership of Harold "Boss" Hurst began to carve out a new Eumeralla out of virgin bush – about 1000 acres of crown land situated on the coast between Anglesea and Point Addis. Boss Hurst saw the new Eumeralla as a national park of scout youth and visualised it as the site for a future world jamboree.
A Man Called "Boss"
Harold E. Hurst 1888-1972
Born at the old Eumeralla East Station on the banks of the Eumeralla River near Macarthur, in Victoria's Western District most of his life was centred around an impressive Victorian Villa, also called Eumeralla, situated in Skene Street, Newtown. 'Boss' Hurst is best known for his contribution to the Geelong District scouting movement which he remodelled and rejuvenated in the peculiarly Australian context of ocean and bush during the 1920's.
'Boss' Hurst became interested in youth in the early stages of his manhood, being a leading figure in amateur athletics, boxing, rowing and football. He organised the training program for the Geelong contestants for the Empire games, when Geelong was represented by Mr Ray Jones in boxing. He was a member of the Geelong Football Club Committee and a club member until his death. 'Boss' also coached the Geelong College 1st Crew for some years. 'Boss' was a well respected member of the Geelong Rotary Club.
For 50 years Boss was Scouting in Geelong. He was father to thousands of boys and his influence on them was lasting. Through his interest in scouting he met some youth from Nauru, and became interested in their education. He made his home their home and soon it became the headquarters for Nauruan boys enjoying the benefits of a Geelong education. For many years to follow, he worked and agitated for Nauruan independence.